Recipe By: Sara Haas, RDN, LDNEatingWell Recipe Contributor
In this healthy bowl-dinner recipe, hummus may seem like an unconventional dressing ingredient, but here we thin it with some hot water to make a rich, creamy drizzle.
Ingredients | 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 1/4 cups bulgur
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in bulgur and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and let stand until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle pork with marjoram, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork; cook, turning several times, until browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Toss asparagus and onion with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. When the pork is browned, scatter the asparagus and onion around it. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the pork registers 145 °F, 12 to 16 minutes. About 5 minutes before the pork is done, scatter the tomatoes over the vegetables in the pan.
- Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Toss the vegetables with the pan juices.
- Drain any remaining liquid from the bulgur, then stir in parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice. Combine hummus and 2 tablespoons hot -water in a small bowl. Divide the bulgur among 4 bowls and top with the pork and vegetables; drizzle with the hummus sauce.
- Serving size: 1 cup bulgur, 3 oz. pork, 3/4 cup vegetables & 1 1/2 Tbsp. sauce
- Per serving: 400 calories; 12 g fat(2 g sat); 9 g fiber; 44 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 129 mcg folate; 74 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1492 IU vitamin A; 26 mg vitamin C; 72 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 583 mg sodium; 985 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C 44%, Folate 32%, Vitamin A 30%, Iron 21%
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
Originally Posted: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251352/roast-pork-asparagus-cherry-tomato-bowl